[Phylobase-devl] [R-sig-phylo] Phylobase 0.4 Forge (installing issues in my old G4 powerBook)

Peter Cowan pdc at berkeley.edu
Thu Mar 12 22:54:11 CET 2009

On Mar 12, 2009, at 1:00 PM, Brian O'Meara wrote:

> Well, using 10.4.11 on an intel mac, with developer tools installed,
> running R 2.8.1, and got the error when trying to load phylobase
> (install appeared to work, just error on load):
>
> > install.packages("phylobase",repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")
> trying URL 'http://R-Forge.R-project.org/bin/macosx/universal/contrib/2.8/phylobase_0.4.tgz'
> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 663910 bytes (648 Kb)
> opened URL
> downloaded 648 Kb
>

> The downloaded packages are in
> 	/tmp/RtmpFOnUD2/downloaded_packages
>
> > library(phylobase)
> Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
>  unable to load shared library '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/
> Resources/library/phylobase/libs/i386/phylobase.so':
>  dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/phylobase/
> libs/i386/phylobase.so, 6): Symbol not found: _strtod$UNIX2003
>  Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/
> phylobase/libs/i386/phylobase.so
>  Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
>
> Error in library(phylobase) : .First.lib failed for 'phylobase'
>
> So, it's not an issue of Raul not having developer tools (though I
> get a slightly different error, I'm assuming it is the same root
> cause). My error comes from the compiled version being made just for
> Mac OS 10.5, not cross-compiled for 10.4. My error persists when
> installing from source, though (after removing phylobase first),
> both from the 0.4 release and the trunk.

How can you tell it is due to the 10.4/10.5 difference.  I'm no
expert, but I would have guessed that they wouldn't differ when it
comes to building R packages.

Brian when you run

install.packages("phylobase",repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org",
type='source')

Do you get any errors?  Or is it when loading the package?

Is this email helpful here:

<http://lists.r-forge.r-project.org/pipermail/phylobase-devl/2008-July/000192.html

> We've run through this before with phylobase, I think the fix
> involved a makefile, but I wonder how it got broken again.

This might add impetus to update NCL, I think that the building
process might have been improved.

peter

> Brian
>

> On Mar 12, 2009, at 12:32 AM, Peter Cowan wrote:
>
>> Raul,
>>
>> I'm CCing r-sig-phylo and the phylobase-dev list as other people
>> may be having the same problem.
>>
>> On Mar 11, 2009, at 8:10 PM, Raul Sedano wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Peter, thanks for your comments, I already tried your
>>> suggestion. This is
>>> what I got when using install.packages("phylobase", repos="
>>> http://R-Forge.R-project.org")
>>> Error in library(phylobase) : .First.lib failed for 'phylobase'
>>> Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
>>> unable to load shared library
>>> '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.8/Resources/library/
>>> phylobase/libs/ppc/phylobase.so':
>>> dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.8/Resources/