[Phylobase-devl] [R-sig-phylo] Phylobase 0.4 Forge (installing issues in my old G4 powerBook)

Brian O'Meara bcomeara at nescent.org
Thu Mar 12 21:00:22 CET 2009

Well, using 10.4.11 on an intel mac, with developer tools installed,
running R 2.8.1, and got the error when trying to load phylobase
(install appeared to work, just error on load):

 > install.packages("phylobase",repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")
trying URL 'http://R-Forge.R-project.org/bin/macosx/universal/contrib/
2.8/phylobase_0.4.tgz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 663910 bytes (648 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 648 Kb

The downloaded packages are in
	/tmp/RtmpFOnUD2/downloaded_packages

 > library(phylobase)
Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
   unable to load shared library '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/
Resources/library/phylobase/libs/i386/phylobase.so':
   dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/phylobase/
libs/i386/phylobase.so, 6): Symbol not found: _strtod$UNIX2003
   Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/
phylobase/libs/i386/phylobase.so
   Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

Error in library(phylobase) : .First.lib failed for 'phylobase'

So, it's not an issue of Raul not having developer tools (though I
get a slightly different error, I'm assuming it is the same root
cause). My error comes from the compiled version being made just for
Mac OS 10.5, not cross-compiled for 10.4. My error persists when
installing from source, though (after removing phylobase first), both
from the 0.4 release and the trunk.

We've run through this before with phylobase, I think the fix
involved a makefile, but I wonder how it got broken again.

Brian

Brian O'Meara
NESCent
Durham, NC