[Roxygen-devel] roxygen3

Hadley Wickham hadley at rice.edu
Tue Aug 28 18:46:48 CEST 2012

> Is it object oriented this time?  From what I can follow from the HEAD,
> it comes pretty close, but it is not S4 driven.

Yes, it's more object-oriented, but with S3, not S4.

> May be I am missing the point here, but it looks to me that doc/tag
> parsers should be generics. A package might want to document and parse
> the roxy-doc of it's objects in a class dependent way. So why not to use
> the native S4 mechanism?

See the doctype, object_from_call, usage and default_exports generics.
 I don't see the need for every tag to be class aware just a few.

> Also would be good to have a roc_template generic, which would generate
> a bare-bone documentation of an object. This is for editors to be able
> to quickly insert a roxygen template based on the object at the cursor
> and its class.

Can you give an example?  Generally, if you can automatically generate
the template, why can't you automatically generate the Rd directly?

Hadley

--
Assistant Professor
http://had.co.nz/