[Roxygen-devel] roxygen3

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 18:27:15 CEST 2012

Hi Hadley,

  >> Hadley Wickham <hadley at rice.edu>
  >> on Mon, 27 Aug 2012 18:53:55 -0500 wrote:

  HW> Hi all,
  HW> I thought I should mention I've started working on roxygen3 at
  HW> https://github.com/hadley/roxygen3.  It's a ground up rewrite of
  HW> roxygen2, aiming to produce the same results as roxygen3, but without
  HW> a completely different backend.  Currently the roxygen2 code is hard
  HW> to extend - the idea of roclets was good, but I think they were too
  HW> big - you want to be able to work at the tag level so it's easier to
  HW> add new features.

Is it object oriented this time?  From what I can follow from the HEAD,
it comes pretty close, but it is not S4 driven.

May be I am missing the point here, but it looks to me that doc/tag
parsers should be generics. A package might want to document and parse
the roxy-doc of it's objects in a class dependent way. So why not to use
the native S4 mechanism?

Also would be good to have a roc_template generic, which would generate
a bare-bone documentation of an object. This is for editors to be able
to quickly insert a roxygen template based on the object at the cursor
and its class.

    Thanks,
      Vitalie