[Traminer-users] pseudo-ANOVA results

Claire Lemercier Claire.Lemercier at ens.fr
Thu Jun 17 09:37:14 CEST 2010

Hi all,
I am using the pseudo-ANOVA routine (dissassoc) of TraMineR; I think
that I understand it correctly when it deals with "classical"
categorical variables like sex, but I want to be sure that I make no
mistake in interpreting the results in a case where the variable has
hundreds of levels.
We have 1332 individual sequences clustered in 470 households and we
want to test if persons in the same household tend to vote similarly at
similar timepoints. We produced a distance through optimal matching
(with parameters giving an important weight to simultaneity) and
dissassoc gives these results for households:

Pseudo ANOVA table:
            SS   df       MSE
Exp   5700.474  469 12.154529
Res   3653.928  862  4.238896
Total 9354.402 1331  7.028101

Test values  (p-values based on 999 permutation):
  PseudoF  PseudoR2 PseudoF_Pval PseudoT PseudoT_Pval
 2.867381 0.6093894            0     Inf            0

Is the "Inf" for PseudoT a problem? Am I right in understanding that
this shows a very important association and that, despite of the high
number of categories, it is highly significant? I also wanted to control
for the fact that household-homogeneity could be concentrated in only
some of the households. Am I correct to think that the fact that, with
an overall pseudo-variance of 7, a vast majority of even the largest
households has an internal pseudo-variance of less than 5 points in the
right direction?
All the best,
Claire