[Traminer-users] pseudo-ANOVA results

Matthias Studer Matthias.Studer at unige.ch
Fri Jun 18 13:12:41 CEST 2010

Dear Claire,

Your questions are indeed very interesting. There are some cases when
the Pseudo T statistic becomes infinite. For instance, when some groups
have 2 or less units and I guess that this is your case. This means that
you should not interpret the T statistic. Therefore, you cannot conclude
that discrepancies (pseudo-variance) are significantly different (or
not) in each groups.

The p-value is significant and that is what you should look at. The
absolute value of the R2 may be difficult to interpret. It should be
compared to the R2 obtained by random permutation (to get an idea if
0.609 is high or low). These values are stored in the object returned by
dissassoc. You can easily get an histogram using:
da <- dissassoc(...)
hist(da)

The values are stored in da$perms$t[, 1] (for the PseudoF statistic) or
da$perms$t[, 2] for Pseudo R2.

The list of pseudo variances for each household can be easily recovered.
da$groups provide size and pseudo variance of each factor levels (i.e.
households in your case). You should just remove the last line (which
gives the total n and pseudo-variance). This can be done with the
following code.
da$groups[-nrow(da$groups),]

Regarding the high number of levels, I think that this is not a problem.
Permutation gives you the probability that your R2 is higher than
obtained by random. To be sure I suggest you to use at least 5'000
permutations:
da <- dissassoc(..., R=5000)

Hope this help,
Matthias Studer