[tlocoh-info] Error in plot.new(): figure margins too large

Gina Joue g.joue at uke.de
Mon May 6 12:01:36 CEST 2019

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the quick reply!

Your example worked fine both from the console and within R markdown. I
had tried dev.off() and maximizing the plot panel as much as I can, but
that didn't help -- I hadn't tried dev.new(), which you've suggested. I
can now plot without getting the margin error after maximizing the new
plot window that opens up with dev.new(). I think what makes my data
particularly ungainly is I have so many subjects (so I'm sure I'll be
frequenting this email list very often in the next while).

Great documentation/tutorials/guides, by the way -- wish other package
developers put out such complete info!

Thanks again for your help!
Gina

On 05/05/2019 05:10, Andy Lyons wrote:
> Hi Gina,
>
> Thanks for heads-up on the plot error message. Yes that's a fairly
> common error message with RStudio, and is usually caused by the plot
> window being too small. In fact that's the only time I've ever
> encountered it. Very weird to see it in Rmd output. If increasing the
> size of the plot window doesn't work, something else might be going on.
>
> I just did a test of plotting in RStudio and this worked fine:
>
> mycon <-
> url("http://tlocoh.r-forge.r-project.org/toni.n5775.2005-08-22.2006-04-23.lxy.RData")
> load(mycon); close(mycon)
> plot(toni.lxy)
>
> See if that works for you.
>
> Something else you could try would be to run dev.new() before you run a
> plot command. This will open a new plot window and make it active for
> subsequent plot commands. To print in RStudio again, run dev.off() or
> just close the window.
>
> If none of the above helps, there might be something else going on,
> maybe a DPI setting or something like that. If I can reproduce the
> problem I could look more closely (but I won't have time to look at it
> until probably June). You can also look at the code in the plot
> functions and comment out any lines that deal with margins. Or you could
> also simply plot the points with your own commands - under the hood the
> locations are simply a SpatialPointsDataFrame object and the hulls and
> isopleths are simply SpatialPolygonsDataFrame objects (see the Vignette
> on the data structure).
>
> Cheers,
> Andy
>

> On 5/3/2019 6:51 AM, Gina Joue wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I know the error
>> Error in plot.new(): figure margins too large
>>
>> is probably a problem that is not specific to the tlocoh package, but
>> I'm getting it only when plotting lxy objects, so I thought perhaps
>> others using the package might have come across this and know how to
>> deal with it. I don't get it with hist() but so far with plot(),
>> lxy.plot.freq(), and lxy.plot.sfinder().
>>
>> I've tried the following suggestions posted in other R forums:
>> * set the margins smaller than what it is set at
>> * restarted the graphics device with dev.off() before plotting
>> * increased the size of the plot window
>> * Actually I'm running plots within R-markdown, which apparently should
>> not be prone to this error because it's configured to plot to full paper
>> size (is that right?), but in any case, I've tried it within the Rmd
>> file with that panel at maximum size as well as at the console with the
>> plot window at max)
>>
>> Help?
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Gina
>> --

> *T-LoCoH*: A hull-based method for home range construction and
> spatiotemporal analysis of movement data.
> Lyons, A., Turner, W.C., and WM Getz. 2013. Home Range Plus: A
> [...]

Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf; Körperschaft des öffentlichen Rechts; Gerichtsstand: Hamburg | www.uke.de
Vorstandsmitglieder: Prof. Dr. Burkhard Göke (Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr. Dr. Uwe Koch-Gromus, Joachim Prölß, Marya Verdel