[Reddyproc-users] Constraining Gap Filling to Certain "Epochs"

Thomas Wutzler twutz at bgc-jena.mpg.de
Wed Feb 8 10:20:48 CET 2017

Dear Kevin and REddyProc users,

Currently this epoch-processing is not available with REddyProc.

Our reason was, that standard REddyProc processing should check for
sufficiently enough data so that applied standard methods are robust
(See e.g. Ladislav's reply on estimating temperature sensitivity E0).
Hence, there is this three month-data limit.

However, there is a way to include a user-defined variable to identify
similar periods for the Lookup-Table-based gap-Filling with the
lower-level functions. I recommend that you define a dummy variable with
an distinct integer value that identifies your epochs or seasons as I
called it. This can already be applied for the uStar-Threshold
estimation (see help on argument seasonFactor.v in usEstUstarThreshold).
In the following I assume that you defined integer column 'seasonFactor'
in your dataset and loaded it to the reference class object.

The specialized gapfilling Method sFillLUT allows to specify five
variables and tolerances. Usually its called from sMDSGapFill with the
three variables:

    ,V1.s='Rg'            ##<< Condition variable 1 (default: Global
radiation 'Rg' in  W m-2)
    ,T1.n=50              ##<< Tolerance interval 1 (default: 50 W m-2)
    ,V2.s='VPD'           ##<< Condition variable 2 (default: Vapour
pressure deficit 'VPD' in hPa)
    ,T2.n=5               ##<< Tolerance interval 2 (default: 5 hPa)
    ,V3.s='Tair'          ##<< Condition variable 3 (default: Air
temperature 'Tair' in degC)
    ,T3.n=2.5             ##<< Tolerance interval 3 (default: 2.5 degC)

You can manually call the Lookup-Table-based gapFilling with additional
variable like
REddyProcObject$sFillLUT(7, V1.s, T1.n, V2.s, T2.n, V3.s, T3.n,
V4.s='seasonFactor', T4.n=0.1 )
This invokes the gapfilling looking at similar peridos within +-7days,
but not regarding periods where variable seasonFactor has a different
value (assuming its identifier values are more than 0.1 apart).
Note, that the naming of the outputs is different from sMDSGapFill, and
you have to do the work of method sMDSGapFill yourself (implement the
sequence successively weaker conditions for filling).

We could extend standard sMDSGapFill to support an additional
user-defined variable. However, there are complicating special cases
that are hard to document consistently (e.g. how to handle the
Mean-Diurnal cycle-based gapfilling for longer gaps that does not
support the seasons)
Maybe, its better to implement a modified more flexible version of
sMDSGapFill with a different name, and let the original sMDSGapFill call
the more flexible version.
If you come up with a good solution, we are happy if you show and
discuss it on r-forge or github.

Best regards
Thomas