[Rcpp-devel] Any recent change that would remove Rcpp_precious_remove?

Iñaki Ucar iucar at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 15 14:41:26 CEST 2021

On Thu, 15 Jul 2021 at 10:27, ma wh <cjard at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi list
>
> Colleague of mine wrote some R last week that was working OK, and hasn't been changed in itself since that time. This week it's ceased working( I've tried it on my machine and also see a fail, the following error is encountered:
>
> Error in C_valid_tz(tzone): Function 'Rcpp_precious_remove' not provided by package 'Rcpp'

TL;DR: update your library.

It seems that you are using a package (lubridate) compiled against the
most recent Rcpp release, but you are trying to load it using an old
version of Rcpp. We try hard to smooth things out so that the
transition "forward" (i.e., updating Rcpp) is as painless as possible.
In fact, the recent v1.0.7 landed on CRAN with 2.3k+ reverse depends
and only a couple of issues that got resolved with a rebuild. This is
the inverse situation: the rest of the packages are updated (built
against the newest Rcpp), but the local Rcpp version is an old one.
This is not supported and cannot be supported; otherwise, our hands
would be tied to make any progress or innovation.

--
Iñaki Úcar