[Rcpp-devel] Any recent change that would remove Rcpp_precious_remove?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Jul 15 14:12:46 CEST 2021

On 15 July 2021 at 08:24, ma wh wrote:
| Colleague of mine wrote some R last week that was working OK, and hasn't been changed in itself since that time. This week it's ceased working( I've tried it on my machine and also see a fail, the following error is encountered:
|
| Error in C_valid_tz(tzone): Function 'Rcpp_precious_remove' not provided by package 'Rcpp'
|
| Searching around there aren't many hits. Those I do find seem quite recent (stackoverflow questions or GitHub issues logged in various projects, dates of posting are within the last few days). None of the posted queries seem to have a solution, one person said restarting RStudio helped, but not in my case. The SO question I found was marked as deleted. The GitHub issue I found was "I solved it" but no mention of how. The SO question was asking about svg export: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/68345118/exporting-a-ggplot-in-svg-call-a-non-esixting-function
| The GitHub were also asking about packages I don't use -
| https://github.com/r-spatial/spdep/issues/60
| https://github.com/drizopoulos/JMbayes2/issues/5
|
| Anyone on the list have any pointers? Thanks

Packages following a the GNU style often have a file ChangeLog which "details
changes made to the code". Rcpp follows this convention, see 2021-07-05 and
2021-01-017.

Packages following the R packaging conventions often have a file inst/NEWS.rd
(also rendered as NEWS at CRAN). Rcpp follow this conventions, see the Rcpp
1.0.7 release (even if the functions is not named).

Packages have source code you can search.I like `ag` aka "the
silversearcher":

  edd at rob:~/git/rcpp(master)$ ag -c Rcpp_precious_remove
  ChangeLog:2
  inst/include/Rcpp/routines.h:3
  inst/include/RcppCommon.h:2
  src/rcpp_init.cpp:1
  src/barrier.cpp:1
  edd at rob:~/git/rcpp(master)$

It is still there, and available via the standard export mechanism.

I recommend your friend take a look. The function is a) still there yet has
also b) been supplanted by a more sufficient alternative.

Otherwise, a reproducible example would be the only way to make this
concrete.

Hope this helps, Dirk

https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org