[Rcpp-devel] RcppEigen not compiling under Solaris 10 INTEL

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Tue Oct 1 00:10:35 CEST 2013

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 4:42 PM, Douglas Bates <bates at stat.wisc.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 4:16 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
>

>> Hi Martyn,
>>
>> On 30 September 2013 at 21:02, Martyn Plummer wrote:
>> | I've already been asked to look into this by Brian.  I can't say I've
>> rolled up my sleeves very far, but the problem appears to be in Eigen
>> itself.
>>
>> Cool!  Good to know.
>>
>> | I should clarify that I'm not volunteering to maintain RcppEigen, but I
>> will provide patches as and when.
>>
>> That too is appreciated!
>>
>> The Eigen code on CRAN has not been updated in a while. The version number
>> (0.3.1.2.1) reflect both upstream Eigen 3.1.2 (two patch releases behind
>> Eigen in the 3.1.* series which is now at 3.1.4) and the mandatory change
>> for
>> JSS once the paper was accepted.
>>
>> Changing 3.1.2 to 3.1.3/3.1.4 may help. Or it may not.  Maybe 3.2.0
>> upstream
>> will help.
>>
>> Changing to 3.1.4 or, better, 3.2, would be a good idea.  In particular,
> the 3.2 version provides Cholesky, LU and QR sparse factorizations that do
> not depend on SuiteSparse (the package of C libraries of which CHOLMOD is
> part).
>
> Unfortunately, the current maintainer played a little fast and loose by
> adding a couple of wrinkles to the Eigen code itself and using these
> wrinkles in lme4.
>
> I had been hoping to put off the switch to Eigen 3.2 for a while longer as
> I am facing some deadline pressures on another project.  But perhaps it
> would be best to create an experimental branch using Eigen 3.2.  Best case,
> the fixes for lme4 are easy.  Worst case ...
>
> Ben's message came through while I was writing this.  If you are
> interested look at the last link he gives
>
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.eigen/991
>
> and you will see that the sort of error messages showing up in the
> RcppEigen log were present in 2010 and the reaction of the Eigen developers
> is that the compiler is complaining about code that follows the standard
> and is compilable on other systems.

It seems that a good place for someone with access to a Solaris system to
start is to download versions 3.1.4 and 3.2 of Eigen from
http://eigen.tuxfamily.org and see if the simple program

$ cat test.cc
#include "eigen/Eigen/Eigen"
using namespace Eigen;
int main() {
 return 0;
}
$
$ CC test.cc

compiles with one of those versions.  If that doesn't compile the way
forward will be difficult.