[Rcpp-devel] Another rcpp package for examples

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed May 23 14:36:52 CEST 2012

Hi Peter,

Thanks for announcing this here.  Always nice to hear about use cases
involving Rcpp and RInside.

On 23 May 2012 at 16:09, Peter deVoil wrote:
| Folks,
|
| May I thank the Rcpp community for providing such a useful package.
|
| For your records, may I let you know that the farming systems model
| APSIM (www.apsim.info) is using Rcpp/RInside as a wrapper around the R
| language; allowing snippets of R code to interact with apsim
| simulations. http://www.apsim.info/Wiki/RComponent.ashx has a brief
| outline.
|
| Source code is available from
| http://apsrunet.apsim.info/svn/apsim/trunk/Model/RLink/. There is
| particular nastiness involved on windows platforms as the model is
| built with MSVC, yet calls GCC code (ie Rcpp) via extern "C".

Thanks for pointing to the SVN views.

There are a few pages on the site that are a bit more restrictive:

   http://www.apsim.info/Wiki/Downloads.ashx
   http://www.apsim.info/Wiki/Access-to-APSIM.ashx

and I am not too sure how/if you can really do that if you have components
(such as R, Rcpp, RInside, ...) licensed under GNU GPL.

What is your understanding there?

| particular nastiness involved on windows platforms as the model is
| built with MSVC, yet calls GCC code (ie Rcpp) via extern "C".

This comes up every now and then, and folks would surely love to see a good
tutorial and walk-through.  R Documentation such as "Writing R Extensions"
hints at it at times, but R Core generally declares this as "unsupported".
Which is the position Romain and I take as well as we generally work more on
Linux and OS X anyway.

Regards,  Dirk