[Rcpp-devel] Building a Package created with Rcpp/RcppArmadillo on the Mac

terrance savitsky tds151 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 05:36:21 CEST 2011

Thanks for the coaching, Dirk.  It prompted me to create a set of small/toy
packages that employ some of the RcppArmadillo templates I utilize in my
package , but I am yet unable to reproduce the errors I find when attempting
to build my pacakge on a Mac - these toy packages build without issue on the
Mac installations on which I'm experimenting.  So my issue relates to a
large package I've built under Rcpp and RcppArmadillo, with many functions.
 The package builds and installs under X86-64 and X86-32 Windows platforms
without issue.   So is it possible to offer any comment or tips based on
intuition to help me focus on areas to investigate?

In summary, I receive two errors when linking:

/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.13/Resources/library/Rcpp/lib/x86_64/libRcpp.a:
line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'

/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.13/Resources/library/Rcpp/lib/x86_64/libRcpp.a:
line 1: `!<arch>'

Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :

  unable to load shared object
'/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.13/Resources/library/growcurves/libs/x86_64/growcurves.so':

dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.13/Resources/library/growcurves/libs/x86_64/growcurves.so,
6): Symbol not found: __ZTIN4Rcpp12not_a_matrixE

A very similar looking error to this second error was previously posted on
the Rcpp list, but it related to the creation of templates by the person
posting.  I have not created any templated classes, so I wonder if the
second error I'm encountering is linked to the first.  So far I know that
simple packages created under RcppArmadillo build without issue on the same
Macs producing these errors with my package.  I also know my package builds,
checks and installs with no warnings or other issues on Windows machines.
 I've checked for errors in my Makefile and/or header declarations to
explain the first error, but don't see any issues.

A package tarball is located at the link, below, should anyone wish to
attempt to build it.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B0DIDcaf6yMwMWY5ODQxNDItMDcxNC00ZTVkLThkYzMtNTkzZDQ2NTI2OTUx&hl=en_US

Thank you for your guidance, Terrance.

--