[Rcpp-devel] On mailing list defaults, and suggested patch submission

Dominick Samperi djsamperi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 17:24:14 CEST 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Dominick Samperi <djsamperi at gmail.com>wrote:

> Just like any other open source project, we prefer _patches_ (and see [1]
>> if
>> you are unclear as to what these are -- they are not _modified copies_)
>> rather than copies. If you want us to consider your work, the onus is on
>> you
>> to demonstrate a) what goal the change is meant to achieve and b) to
>> clearly
>> delineate what changes are to be made.  Patches do the latter, whereas
>> copies
>> don't. Additional info on the motivation for the patch (clearer code,
>> better
>> performance, more foo, ...) also helps.

To place things in context, here is my rejected contribution without the
source attachments.
Before making these (trivial) changes I downloaded the latest SVN copies of
all files, and
as I said, the only difference is a few ifdef's (_MSC_VER).

So how does one determine what SVN revisions went into a particular CRAN
release? Is
it possible to use svn to checkout the files that were used for a particular
release?

Rejected contribution:

I'm attahcing patches for MS Visual C++ Express (only
tested 2008 version). Everything is ifdef-ed _MSC_VER
so this should have no impact on the CRAN
builds (including winbuilder).

The ifdef in XPtr.h is required because MSVC and
g++ apparently disagree on the interpretation of this
code (fixing one causes and error in the other).

Files modified:
  src/RcppCommon.cpp
  src/Date.cpp
  inst/include/RcppCommon.h
  inst/include/Rcpp/XPtr.h

New files: (needed due to missing stuff under MSVC)
  src/msvcmath.cpp
  inst/include/msvc/math.h
  inst/include/msvc/stdint.h (this is provided with MSVC 2010)
  inst/include/msvc/unistd.h

Need to use MSVC compiler flags:
HAVE_LOGP1
HAVE_EXPM1
HAVE_WORKING_EXPM1

The new/modifed files are attached.

It would be great if this zero-impact code could be added in
the next release so I don't have to maintain separate versions.

BTW, I don't see any branches or tags in the rcpp svn
repository. How does one identify the SVN version that
corresponds with the CRAN versions?

Thanks,
Dominick