[RQt-devel] windows binary built

Michael Lawrence lawrence.michael at gene.com
Sat Feb 11 19:51:25 CET 2012

Sorry, I was wrong abut the size.

The package library is 27 MB, the Qt binaries are 57 MB. Overall, the
package is 96 MB.

Also, it looks like we will not be able to easily sneak the Qt DLLs into
the binary of the package (CRAN did not want to do that). R CMD check finds
extra DLL files and throws a warning. Thus, I am going to take the GTK+
route and put a zip file of the binary up on github. qtbase will detect the
missing binaries and download/install them upon load, just like RGtk2.
Compressed, the Qt DLLs are only 23 MB.

Currently, Qt only distributes 32 bit binaries for MinGW, so qtbase will
only work with 32 bit R (on Windows). We would have to build our own
binaries to support 64 bit.

Michael