[Phylobase-devl] Treewalking in ape

Thibaut Jombart jombart at biomserv.univ-lyon1.fr
Fri Nov 21 11:39:22 CET 2008

Dear list,

Here is another question concerning treewalk procedures.
I actually believe that these functions are very helpful, but they apply
to trees, not to tree+data structures. Hence, they could be part of ape
as well as part of phylobase. This being said, I realize it is fair to
have them in phylobase, since they must be applicable to phylo4 as well,
and for now ape is 'only' about phylo objects.  But as a user, I would
like to be able to treewalk with phylo objects as well. This is
straightforward since we can add a
as(phy, "phylo4")
at the begining of each treewalk function. Are there good reasons not to
do so I am missing? If not, I would like to allow this extension to all
functions inside treewalk.R (and I would be glad to commit that asap).

Cheers,

Thibaut.