[Phylobase-devl] Treewalking in ape

Peter Cowan pdc at berkeley.edu
Fri Nov 21 23:46:52 CET 2008

Apologies, I forgot to cc the list.

Thibaut,

There are only two potential problems I can think of.  First there
could be a performance hit for phylo4d objects if they need to be
converted to phylo4 objects and verified before walking the tree (that
said, I don't know how processor intensive this is).  This could be
significant if the function is called repeatedly on a tree, which is
the typical use, right?  The simple work around could be something like:

if(!inherits(phy, 'phylo4')) {
	phy <- as(phy, "phylo4")
}

The other potential problem is that doesn't this require the data
model for phylo and phylo4 object to maintain their current
similarity.  That is,  nodes need to be numbered in the same way for
both objects, right?  As far as I know that's currently the case and
it may not change. But, we have talked about including features like
singleton nodes.  Perhaps I've misunderstood how these will work.

Peter