[adegenet-forum] yes/no answer. are xval results only relevant for the dapc part of dapc analysis and not find.cluster

Thibaut Jombart thibautjombart at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 17:13:35 CET 2019

Hi Ella,

1) Yes, only for DAPC, to prevent over-discrimination of the groups when
there are many variables

2) n.pca.max: there's no real rule, this is to avoid useless computational
times; the idea is to avoid i) retaining too few PCA axes, in which case
your DAPC will be sub-optimal in terms of discrimination, and ii) retaining
too many PCA axes, in which case discrimination will be artefactually good
on your data (but bad for cross validation, hence the use of it)

Hope this helps

Associate Professor in Outbreak Analytics, London School of Hygiene and
Tropical Medicine
Senior Lecturer in Genetic Analysis, Imperial College London
President of RECON: repidemicsconsortium.org
https://thibautjombart.netlify.com
Twitter: @TeebzR