[Roxygen-devel] Quo Vadis ROxygen?

Hadley Wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 21:45:58 CET 2013

Hi Joh,

roxygen3 will eventually get merged back in to roxygen2 - I definitely
plan to continue maintaining it, but other projects have priority at
the moment.

If you're having problems with roxygen3, it's probably namespace
related - if you ping me and remind me, I can try and make a few
minutes to investigate.

If you want to pitch in, the roxygen3 design is fairly well developed
and reasonably clean.  You'll need a decent understanding of S4, and
there's a bit of an intro in the readme
(https://github.com/hadley/roxygen3)

Hadley

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Johannes Graumann
<johannes_graumann at web.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using roxygen2 for a while for documenting my amateurish
> enterprises and it has served me well.
>
> I have, however, expanded the arsenal recently into using S4 classes and
> this is where documentation using roxygen stops lending the helping hand it
> used to and using it becomes an excruciating "how do I have to convince
> roxygen to build documentation for my code" ball and chains ...
>
> I have been surfing around for alternatives, couldn't get the (old) s4
> branch in github, roxygen3 doesn't seem a smooth ride either - I'm at a
> loss.
>
> Where do I go from here? Are there alternatives to roxygen? Is there a
> timeline for expanding toxygen(2)'s functionality into S$ space in a non-
> beta(alpha) manner? Where can novices pitch in? What is to grow into a
> future proof version (crystal ball, where art thou?) - roxygen3?
>
> I'd appreciate any input.
>
> Sincerely, Joh

Chief Scientist, RStudio
http://had.co.nz/