[Roxygen-devel] Basic question

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 01:55:05 CEST 2012

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Marc Girondot <marc.girondot at u-psud.fr> wrote:
> Hi "the list"
>
> I just discover roxygen and play with it since two days.
> I have been able to make my first package and it is so easy that I would
> like to use it really for a project.
> However, I have a problem with the production of the DESCRIPTION file.
> Let two files: first HelloWorld.R

Welcome.

I've been using roxygen2 for a few months, not an expert.

I think you are missing the fact that your need a DESCRIPTION file
separate from the R code.  Basically, you need all of the stuff for
building an r package, just not a separate man folder because
roxygenize will make those things.

In my case, I have never tried to do the package build from inside R
itself, but I do like you where I start R in the folder "above" the
package, say "rockchalk" is my package, I do

> roxygenize("rockchalk")

That builds the documentation files and futzes with the DESCRIPTION
and NAMESPACE.

After that I just exit R and run "R CMD build" and "R CMD check
rockchalk_1.xx.xx.tar.gz".

Here's how I got started with this. Get a package you like. Test that
out.  My favorite lately is "lmtest".  In R you can run
"download.packages("lmtest", dest="/tmp")" to grab the source.  First
check you can rebuild the package following the manual in R
extensions. Then you can experiment putting in roxygen markup to see
if you can still build the package.  There's a fabulous tool in the
Rd2Roxygen package. That's an awesome tool in my experience, it will
scan an existing package and convert the R program files to roxygen2.
It is the most amazing thing I've seen in quite a while.

pj

> #### HelloWorld.R ####
> #' showHello est une fonction R permettant d'afficher le message
> #' "Hello World!" sur la console.
> #' @title la fonction showHello()
> #' export
>
> showHello <-function(){
>    cat("Hello World!\n")
> }
>
> and
>
> HelloWorld-package.R
>
> #' @title The package
> #' @author Marc Girondot \email{marc.girondot@@u-psud.fr}
> #' @docType package
> #' @name HelloWorld-package
> #' @description A package
> NULL
>
> To create the package, I use:
>
> setwd("[the path]")
> package.skeleton("HelloWorld",code_files=c("HelloWorld.R",
> "HelloWorld-package.R"))
> library("roxygen2")
> roxygenize("HelloWorld",copy.package=FALSE)
> system("R CMD build '[the path]/HelloWorld'")
>
> It works but the description file does no use the HelloWorld-package.R
> information contrary to what I expected:
> Package: HelloWorld
> Type: Package
> Title: What the package does (short line)
> Version: 1.0
> Date: 2012-04-05
> Author: Who wrote it
> Maintainer: Who to complain to <yourfault at somewhere.net>
> License: What license is it under?
> Collate:
>    'HelloWorld-package.R'
>    'HelloWorld.R'
>
> Probably my error is stupid... please help !
>
> Sincerely
>
> Marc

> Marc Girondot, Pr
>
> Laboratoire Ecologie, Systématique et Evolution
> Equipe de Conservation des Populations et des Communautés
> CNRS, AgroParisTech et Université Paris-Sud 11 , UMR 8079
> Bâtiment 362
> 91405 Orsay Cedex, France
>
> Tel:  33 1 (0)1.69.15.72.30   Fax: 33 1 (0)1.69.15.73.53
> e-mail: marc.girondot at u-psud.fr
> Web: http://www.ese.u-psud.fr/epc/conservation/Marc.html
> Skype: girondot

Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science    Assoc. Director
1541 Lilac Lane, Room 504     Center for Research Methods
University of Kansas               University of Kansas
http://pj.freefaculty.org            http://quant.ku.edu