[Roxygen-devel] [roxygen2] More explicit error messages?

Renaud Gaujoux renaud at cbio.uct.ac.za
Wed Sep 21 18:10:16 CEST 2011

It was very straightforward indeed.
Patching line 324 of roclet-rd.R with the following seems to do the trick:

if (is.null(name)){
     # get the location and filename from srcref
     ll <- partitum$srcref$lloc
     stop("Missing name in block ", basename(partitum$srcref$filename),
":lines ", ll[1], "-", ll[3])
}

More verbose error messages for other types of errors (e.g. related to
wrong usage of roxygen flags) would still be nice to have as well, but
this at least allows to pinpoint very problematic blocks.

This brought me to another question (which might need a separate post
though): it seems that union class names are not extracted (throws the
error: Missing name).

Thank you

Renaud

On 21/09/2011 17:20, Hadley Wickham wrote:
>> I know it is my third post today... I would really like to migrate my
>> package (at least partially) to roxygen2 documentations, but I keep getting
>> into troubles (...).
>> I now get the following error message:
>>
>> Error in roclet_rd_one(partitum, base_path) : Missing name
>>
>> It seems that any roxygen block could throw this error, and it is very hard
>> to track down the issue in big projects.
>> It would be nice to provide the user with at least some more details on
>> which block was being parsed when the error occurred. Give the filename and
>> line number would obviously be even better.
> Yes, agreed.
>
>> Hadley, I saw your Feature-Issue on the subject
>> (https://github.com/klutometis/roxygen/issues/13).
>> Does the development version implement this feature already?
> No, not yet.
>
> Hadley

###

UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN

This e-mail is subject to the UCT ICT policies and e-mail disclaimer published on our website at http://www.uct.ac.za/about/policies/emaildisclaimer/ or obtainable from +27 21 650 9111. This e-mail is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If the e-mail has reached you in error, please notify the author. If you are not the intended recipient of the e-mail you may not use, disclose, copy, redirect or print the content. If this e-mail is not related to the business of UCT it is sent by the sender in the sender's individual capacity.

###