[Roxygen-devel] roxygen2 2.1

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Wed Aug 10 23:14:22 CEST 2011

On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 20:49 +0000, Hadley Wickham wrote:
> Why is it super annoying?

When doing development, I may add (or remove) files (functions) to a
nascent package, with or without fully-baked documentation.  Typically,
while these are 'experimental', I won't want to export them to the
NAMESPACE anyway.  If/when I want to export them, I add @export tags.

I don't run roxygenize() all the time, since I don't need to regenerate
my documentation for every little change.  @export additions would cause
me to run it to update the NAMESPACE, most other minor changes would
not.

Without a Collate field (which R-core members have publicly said is
over- and mis-used), the package will build fine, and R CMD check will
generate expected Warnings about missing documentation for any exported
functions.

When a Collate field exists and doesn't contain the file in question, R
CMD build will suffer a fatal error.  For packages hosted on one of the
development repositories, this means that a binary or tarball will not
be available/updated.

The only time a Collate field should be required is when you need a
particular load order for the sourcing of files while a package is being
built.

I'd rather not have a Collate field at all by default.

I hope, from the comment that the "`Collate` field in `DESCRIPTION` no
longer needs to exist", that getting rid of it is easy.  Ideally, I'd
like to see this be the *default* behavior for roxygenize().

Regards,

   - Brian