[Mediation-information] Appropriate use of package "mediation"

dustin tingley dtingley at gov.harvard.edu
Thu Sep 15 04:27:16 CEST 2011

Hi Tormod-

To follow up, we do allow you to set two values of the treatment other than
0 or 1. Make sure you're using the latest version of the package (3.1), in R
2.13. As Kosuke mentions, it won't matter when everything is linear, but
when things are non-linear, then the ACME from 0 to 1 might different from a
3 to 4 change. This is typical of any time you use probit/logit etc. due to
the nature of the response function in those models.  Also, the sensitivity
analysis, is only worked out for the t=0 and t=1 case. Note that things like
MPlus won't calculate sensitivity analyses...Keep in mind the strong
assumptions you are making when conducting mediation analysis. For us, that
means running a sensitivity analysis if possible, or thinking about
alternative research designs.

best,
dustin

Dustin Tingley