[Mediation-information] Appropriate use of package "mediation"

Kosuke Imai kimai at Princeton.EDU
Thu Sep 15 04:19:22 CEST 2011

Hi Tormod,

  I'm ccing the listserv we have so that my collaborators and others can give additional insights.  The mediation software doesn't have the functionality to fully accomodate the continuous treatment.  However, when the software will calculate the average causal mediation effect of changing the treatment from 0 to 1.  If you use a linear model for both mediator and outcome, then this should be sufficient because the ACME would not change regardless of the base value you choose for the treatment.  If you have a nonlinear model, however, the ACME you get is still valid but only for the scenario where you change the treatment value from 0 to 1.  If you are thinking about different scenario (e.g., changing the treatment from 3 to 4), then you will get a different answer.

Best,
Kosuke

Department of Politics
Princeton University