[Mediation-information] Question when applying Causal Mediation Analysis

Teppei Yamamoto teppei at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 8 20:54:50 CEST 2011

ACME is actually equal to ITT (intention to treat) effect when direct
effect is zero.

In the IV framework, the interest is in estimating the effect of M
itself on Y (i.e. what if we directly manipulated M) and we could use T
as an instrument if the exclusion restriction holds, i.e., there is no
direct effect of T on Y.

In the ACME framework, the interest is in the effect of T on Y through M
(i.e. what if we manipulate T but held the level of M constant at its
natural value without manipulation). If there is no direct effect of T
on Y, all the effects go through M so the total effect of T on Y = the
ACME of T on Y through M.

The key difference is what causal quantity is being estimated. Under
some assumptions some of those quantities happen to be equal.

Teppei

--
Teppei Yamamoto