[Ipmpack-users] modelling a gender-switching iteroparous herb

Eelke Jongejans e.jongejans at science.ru.nl
Mon Jun 9 23:37:11 CEST 2014

Dear Christopher,

there are probably multiple ways to do what you're describing, but I
guess your modelling choices also depend on what you want to achieve. Is
it the population trends you are interested in, and/or the population
structure of non-flowering, male and female flowering individuals? If
you are just interested in seed production and assume that pollen is not
limiting, a size-dependent female-flowering probability in the F matrix
might be enough. You would then have a size-structured model and no need
for additional states. I guess you could even translate the stable size
distribution to proportions males and females. However, if you do need
males as a state, the options you describe should work: either model a
series of conditional probabilities as functions of the previous state
and size of individuals, or use multinomial models. The number of needed
parameters will increase rapidly if you want both size and state
transitions to depend on both previous size and previous stage. Or are
you interested to include 'marriage functions' as well? Not sure if you
could include those with just size as a continuous state variable and
size-dependent male and female flowering probabilities. Anyone?

As for IPMpack: we now do accomodate simple age x size IPMs, but I don't
think you can make such a complicated size x flowering stage IPM with
IPMpack functions only. Probably (as often when you want to include very
complex life histories) you will have to develop code to construct your
own IPM. However, it is often very useful to use bits and pieces of
IPMpack to achieve this (e.g. by using IPMpack functions to create
survival, growth and fecundity objects for subsets of individuals).

best wishes,
Eelke