[GSoC-PortA] Mean-mETL objective?

Ross Bennett rossbennett34 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 21:42:37 CEST 2013

Peter,

Unfortunately, with ROI we are only able to minimize ETL with ETL as an
objective. If you have mean and ETL as an objective using ROI, unless there
is a target in the mean return objective, we just minimize ETL. If you have
both mean and ETL as objectives, you could add a target to the mean
objective and this will minimize ETL subject to the target return.

We can do the following with ETL as an objective using ROI:
 - Minimize ETL subject to leverage, box, group, exposure, position limit,
and target return.

Multipliers are ignored with ROI since the problems are formulated into an
LP/QP problem. I'll take a look at the documentation in optimize.portfolio
and make sure this is clear.

I hope that helps clear it up.

Ross