[FLR-list] Introductory courses on R/FLR

ernesto.jardim at jrc.ec.europa.eu ernesto.jardim at jrc.ec.europa.eu
Mon Nov 21 13:46:42 CET 2011

Hi,

There's only 15 places, so if 50 ICCAT sci sign we'll accept the first
15 and move the course to Madrid.

It's a basic course, so people should bring simple data, like
one-dimensional time series, and we'll use it to demonstrate how to read
data in, make simple transformations, plots etc.

Don't know what you mean with the last one but the idea of this course
is to complement the introduction to stocks assessment, advanced stock
assessment and MSE series. If we manage to increase the knowledge on R
and FLR to those going to these courses, we can do a lot more.

Best

EJ

On 11/21/2011 01:17 PM, Laurie wrote:
> WRT " 'first come first served' basis." If I send this email to ICCAT
> scientists and 30 people sign up immediately who are not from EU
> countries is that OK?
>
> WRT the topics "Working with your own data" & 'Exploring data with
> FLR'. What type of data are these? Stock assessment, cpue,
> catch-at-size, catch-at-age, biological, ...
>
> Plus it would be useful to take the opportunity to finalise a
> definitive set of resources for the flr-project on the areas covered.
>

> Laurie
>

> On 11/21/2011 01:01 PM, ernesto.jardim at jrc.ec.europa.eu wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Please circulate this announcement.
>>
>> Best and thanks
>>
>> EJ
>>
>> JRC Course on "Introduction to R and FLR for fisheries".
>>
>> FISHREG Action of the IPSC's Maritime Affairs Unit of the EC Joint
>> Research Centre is organizing 2 courses on "Introduction to R and FLR
>> for fisheries". The target audience are students, fisheries
>> biologists and stock assessment scientists with none or very low
>> knowledge of R. The objective of the course is to promote numerical
>> analysis of fisheries data with R (http://r-project.org) and FLR
>> (http://flr-project.org), and level up the knowledge of the
>> attendees, setting a good background for follow up training
>> initiatives on stock assessment, e.g. ICES course on introduction to
>> stock assessment.
>>
>> The courses will take place on the 10-12th of January and the 3rd-5th
>> of July, at the Palace Hotel (http://www.palacevarese.com/), Varese,
>> Italy.
>>
>> The courses don't have a registration fee, but the attendees will
>> have to cover their own travelling and accommodation expenses. The
>> hotel offers special fees of 75 Euros per night, please refer to the
>> JRC R/FLR course when booking. JRC covers the expenses related with
>> the organisation of the course (room, technical equipment, coffee
>> breaks and the transfer from Malpensa Airport to Varese). The course
>> will have a maximum of 15 attendees. A registration is mandatory and
>> the selection criteria will be on a 'first come first served' basis.
>> To register do the following:
>>
>> 1) Go to https://jrc-meeting-registration.jrc.ec.europa.eu/ and
>> create your user account (all data is protected)
>> 3) Follow the link
>> http://jrc-meeting-registration.jrc.ec.europa.eu/Ispra/January2012/IntroductiontoRFLR/tabid/2374/Default.aspx
>>
>> 4) Scroll down accept the Events Registration Statement and make the
>> registration.
>>
>> The course program is: day 01 morning - 'Introduction to R', day 01
>> afternoon - 'Working with R', day 02 morning - 'Writing functions',
>> day 02 afternoon - 'Working with your own data', day 03 morning -
>> 'Introduction to FLR', day 03 afternoon - 'Exploring data with FLR'.
>> The instructors are JRC researchers Ernesto Jardim, Iago Mosqueira
>> and Giacomo Chato Osio.

Ernesto Jardim<ernesto.jardim at jrc.ec.europa.eu>
Scientific Officer
FISHREG – Scientific Support to Fisheries
IPSC Maritime Affairs Unit
EC Joint Research Center
TP 051, Via Enrico Fermi 2749
I-21027 Ispra (VA), Italy