[Traminer-users] How to treat in different ways different types of missing values?

Elie Chosson elie.chosson at upmf-grenoble.fr
Fri Sep 21 11:04:48 CEST 2012

Hello, dear TraMineR's users!

I'm preparing my Ph.D in economy, and I use for it R and the TraMineR
package. It's a powerful, useful and very nice tool!
I work on the trajectories of the recipients of the french "Revenu de
Solidarité Active". I have almost 2000 trajectories in my data frame,
and my data cover 9 quarter.

My problem is the next:
I have some missing values, but with a sens which is not all times the same:
1. first case: when a missing value for a quarter is between two normal
values for the previous and next quarter.
2. second case: a missing value for a quarter is followed by missing
values for all the next quarters.

example:
_first case:_
Normal-Normal-Normal-*NA*-Normal-Normal-Normal-Normal-Normal
_second case:_  Normal-Normal-*NA*-*NA*-*NA-NA*-*NA*-*NA*-*NA*

In the first case I would like to treat the NA state in the same way
than the following state, and in the second case the NA state is
correct, and I can consider it like a outing of the policy than i study.

In your mind, their is possibilities with TraMineR to do this? In the
seqdef function, can I specify a rule like it? May be in defining the
labels and the codes? Can I change a state in a trajectory with a
logical function?

I don't know if I'm clear, and i sorry for my bad English,

thanking you in advance,

--
Elie Chosson,
Doctorant contractuel,