[tlocoh-info] WG: nsv and mnlv

Julia Krejci julia.krejci at chello.at
Tue Sep 9 15:33:32 CEST 2014

Dear tlocoh-list,

I've calculated revisitation rate and mean duration of visit for some birds
I put GPS-transmitters on.  I chose an inter-visit-gap of 12 hours. Maybe
I'm already work-blind, but I can't seem to understand the intervals the
output gives me.

If I display the nsv data, it shows me all points which are considered as
consecutive visits to a hull, right? And the colour code shows if the
individual was there rarely or often. The intervals of my output are:

1 - 11.6

11.6 - 22.2

22.2 - 32.8 . and so on.

So, this means, the individual revisited this hull once or 22 times during
one inter-visit-gap? That doesn't seem right. I'm quite sure I'm missing
something.

It is the same for the mean duration of visit. This means the mean number of
records taken of an individual during one visit to the hull, right? But the
output gives me

1.30 - 11.56

11.56 - 21.82 and so on up to 52.60.

This cannot mean the bird stayed in this hull for 52 records. My GPS
interval is one hour and the transmitters are shut down during the night to
save energy, so they don't record over night. Maybe I have to keep that in
mind?

I tried to send you a sample image for illustration but it seems to be too
big to be sent.

I hope my explanation is understandable. I'd be very grateful for some
advice.

Thank you and best wishes,

Julia