[Seqinr-forum] searching for sequences from author Arctander in 'genbank'

Coghlan, Avril A.Coghlan at ucc.ie
Thu Dec 10 17:12:21 CET 2009

Dear Simon,

Sorry for the delay in my reply, the last two weeks were very hectic.

Thank you for your helpful reply, your explanation about the Aspergillus
sequences makes a lot of sense, and everything is becoming clear to me.

I have another question about why I get different numbers when searching
via SeqinR or via the NCBI website.
I have tried to figure out why but couldn't figure it out in this cases.
I will be grateful if you could shed light on this.

It is: when I go to www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov and search the Nucleotide
database for:
   Arctander[AU] NOT (srcdb_refseq[PROP] OR wgs[PROP] OR "synthetic
construct"[ORGN])
I get 2973 sequences

When I search the ACNUC 'genbank' database via R, using
'query("arctander","AU=@arctander@")', I get 2911 sequences.

I tried to figure out why the two lists of sequences don't match up.
There are some sequences found via the search on the NCBI website that
aren't found via ACNUC, and vice versa.
For example, this sequence is found via the search on the NCBI website
but not via ACNUC:
      Accession AF106218
It has got 'Nyakaana,S. and Arctander,P.' in the AUTHORS field, so I'm
not sure why it wasn't found via ACNUC - do you know?

Regards, and thanks again for your help, I appreciate it very much.

Avril