[Rprotobuf-yada] can't assign raw to field of type bytes

Murray Stokely mstokely at google.com
Sun Dec 15 00:15:15 CET 2013

On Dec 14, 2013 2:05 PM, "Whitney Jackson" <whjackson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've run into an issue where I can't assign raw values to RProtoBuf fields
> of type bytes. See the following proto and R files for an example.
>
> test.proto: http://pastebin.com/0n4dcYV7
> test.R: http://pastebin.com/1C3KBVqh
>
> From what I can tell, only R character vectors of length 1 can be assigned
> to bytes fields. That seems like a bug since protobuf bytes fields are
> meant to hold arbitrary bytes and R character vectors aren't (null chars
> are prohibited for example).
>
> I'd appreciate any advise that anyone might have.

What version of RProtoBuf are you using?  Your example works fine on the
version I am using, but that may include some fixes we haven't yet pushed
to CRAN.

If the latest version from CRAN still has this problem, can you try the
latest version from R-Forge?

I'll add a unit test to runit.bytes.R for this behavior.

            - Murray