[Rprotobuf-yada] lots of updates

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Nov 4 18:39:52 CET 2009

Wow! You have so much frigging energy!

On 4 November 2009 at 18:07, Romain François wrote:
| Hi,
|
| Back from the connectionless couple of days in london. I've commited

I didn't know til yesterday that you were there (at least in part) for the
London-R meeting. Nice!

| lots of updates to the package.
|
| - mutators are now fully working, with all types: primitives, enums,
| messages
| - "update" method
| - "new" takes care of the ... which is used to fill the message (using
| update)
| - "clone" method to clone a message
| - "with" method so that we can evaluate an expression "with" a message
| - "has" method to indicate if a message has a given field set
| - "as.list" method
| - more completions

And you even went to one namespace only :)

Still builds fine. I just added one random commit to get rid of three
harmless -Wall warnings.

| It's all documented.

Could you possibly set up a little demo() file that just 'does stuff' ?
Otherwise I get lost between the different man pages.

| I've updated the version to 0.0-3 as well.
|
| Here is the TODO file that I've commited :
|
| * finalizers
| * serialize/parse messages from/to connections
| * unit testing
| * vignette
| * what to do when unload the package
| * useR abstract
| * useR presentation
|
| Now, what we really need is ability to serialize and parse these
| messages from streams, preferably R connections. Does one of you have an
| idea about streaming these messages in and out ?
|
| We need to use these C++ methods of the Message class:
|
| bool ParseFromIstream(istream * input)
| bool SerializeToOstream(ostream * output) const
|
| meaning we need to create istream and ostream based on R connections.

Never tried that.  We could start pedestrian and parse from text connections
(files) first and later bring things down to C++ in a more general way.

By the way, if there are Rcpp you need or could think of let me know!

Dirk