[Rprotobuf-yada] Compiling on RHEL 64 bit Linux

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Dec 24 18:33:31 CET 2009

On 24 December 2009 at 11:18, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| I just verified that it also breaks for me :-/
|
| g++ -I/usr/share/R/include -I/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/Rcpp/lib -pthread -fpic  -g -O3 -Wall -pipe -c as.cpp -o as.o
| as.cpp:4: error: ‘external_pointer’ is not a template
| as.cpp:4: error: explicit instantiation of non-template type ‘rcpp::external_pointer’
| make: *** [as.o] Error 1
| ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘RProtoBuf’
| * removing ‘/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/RProtoBuf’
| * restoring previous ‘/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/RProtoBuf’
|
| So looks like Romain broke that...

It looks like a simple oversight that somehow doesn't bite on i386.

Just commenting it out at the top of as.cpp -- that does the trick.  The rcpp
namespace is never used anywhere. [ Romain and I have one/off discussion
about sticking stuff to rcpp or keeping in his brandew RForge package cpp
which has fancy STL object inspection / creation from R. For a die-hard Java
programmer he has quite the C++ tricks up his sleeve. ]