[Roxygen-devel] S4 documentation

Michael Lawrence lawrence.michael at gene.com
Mon Nov 14 18:57:18 CET 2011

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Hadley Wickham <hadley at rice.edu> wrote:

> > In roxygen (v1) existing Rd files in the Rd directory are merged with
> > the documentation generated by roxygen based on the file name and
> > @rdname.
> >
> > Maybe we can implement something similar in roxygen2? Would that help?
>
> I really don't like mixing generated and hand-written files in the
> same directory - it just seems like a recipe for trouble.  (And makes
> source code control just that much more complicated)

Agreed. It's nice to have the reference along with the other documentation.
I don't have any opinion on where the templates are located, but I would
recommend that there is a generic, modular import mechanism that is able to
parse any type of file into the Rd object model, as long as a driver exists.