[Rnomads-user] issues on retreveing specific location data in rNOMADS

Adam Simkowski akssimkowski at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 8 21:31:11 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I have been attempting to pull “dswrfsfc”
(incoming solar radiation) at a specific latitude and longitude from the historical NAM data set available through rNOMADS. I followed
the example shown in various parts of the package notes where data is pulled
for Chapel Hill, NC. I am attempting to pull data for a location not too far from
Chapel Hill (Murfreesboro, NC). However, when I attempt to pull either solar
radiation or 2 meter temperature data for a given hour, I get 24 rows of data
with a longitude far away from my desired location and a latitude somewhat
nearby. I was under the impression that I should only get one row of data
closest to my desired location since I’m only querying for one specific hour.  I
am not completely sure I understand the code to query data closest to a
desired location given a latitude and longitude... I have included this code in the attached items with my specific lat and lon ( file name: rNOMADS lat-lon code). Could someone please explain code here a little more in-depth than is shown in on the package vignette?

have also attached my script that I wrote to retrieve point specific model data for
Murfreesboro (Murphy solar) and an example of the 24 row data frame that it creates. The
script was written as a function where the input is a specific number assigned to a url
from the historical NAM list. An example input would be 1473 which is the url
for NAM runs on September 1st, 2014. I am hoping to fix the code so that it only returns one row of data instead of 24. I have also written a script
that pulls more than one model at a time using a for loop, but this lat lon
issue seems to be inhibiting me from creating a proper final output data frame
with good data. Once I figure out the lat lon issue here, I will certainly share this code for all to use!

Thank you,

Adam Simkowski