[Remoterengine-devel] Recent changes

Romain Francois romain.francois at dbmail.com
Tue Sep 15 20:35:44 CEST 2009

On 09/15/2009 02:54 PM, Ian Long wrote:

> I think we should create an "examples" directory somewhere in the
> installed package where we would put several examples (such as those in
> the wiki) of client code. One of these could be the test suite.
>
> I was thinking exactly the same thing last night. It is on my "ToDo"
> list. I haven't made any changes to the R package following the change
> of name of the port argument to "registryPort" because I assume they are
> picked up automatically prior to been handled within the Java side. I
> have updated the start description on the Wiki though.
>> I'll have a look at testng (does not seem too different from junit as
>> far as a quick glance revealed)
> It is very similar to JUnit 4 but with some important advantages;
> parallel testing, test groups and increasing flexibility. Currently
> there is only one simple test within the TestNG but I will be porting
> all your JUnit tests across shortly and adding some of my own to it.
>
> I am also working on an Ant task to start the server - this will enable
> me to remove the "bin" directory while still enabling the test suite to
> start up server(s).
>
> Cheers,
> Ian.

Actually, now that I think of it, it might make sense to factor things
out of the main R package and make another one for examples and another
one for testing. So that we'd have :

RemoteREngine : the actual thing
RemoteREngine.test: test ng test suite
RemoteREngine.examples: examples

I'll start setting things up for the examples one.

Romain

--
Romain Francois
Professional R Enthusiast