[Rcpp-devel] CRAN submission with NOTE about STRING_PTR

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Jun 23 22:32:04 CEST 2024

Hi Patrik,

On 23 June 2024 at 21:37, Patrik Schilter wrote:
| Dear all,
|
| First of all: Thank you very much for creating and also maintaining Rcpp so
| diligently!

Thanks for the kind words.

| I am a co-maintainer of the package REndo which depends on Rcpp & RcppEigen.
| Last week, we submitted an updated versions of our package to CRAN but
| unfortunately we failed the CRAN incoming checks on
| `r-devel-linux-x86_64-debian-gcc` and `r-devel-windows-x86_64` with:
|
| "Found non-API call to R: ‘STRING_PTR’  Compiled code should not call non-API
| entry points in R."

I believe this was a pretty recent addition to the list of symbols flagged.
And as was mentioned in the github issues you refer to below, all this is
still very much in flux.

| The results can be found here:
| https://win-builder.r-project.org/incoming_pretest/REndo_2.4.10_20240619_205001
| /Windows/00check.log
| https://win-builder.r-project.org/incoming_pretest/REndo_2.4.10_20240619_205001
| /Debian/00check.log
|

| From Dirks comment on the Github issue tracker (https://github.com/RcppCore/
| Rcpp/issues/1311#issuecomment-2185099772), I understand that this issue will
| not be approached in the upcoming release in July but only in the next release
| thereafter in January.
|

| Two questions:
|
| - Does this stem from our usage of `Rcpp::CharacterVector` and could this note
| be avoided if we did not use `Rcpp::CharacterVector?`
|
| - Is my understanding correct, that exiting packages on CRAN which use
| `Rcpp::CharacterVector` therefore cannot be updated until next year because
| they will fail the CRAN pre-tests?

Good questions. But I fear we don't really have answers yet. It took quite a
bit of work for the just merged PR to improve things relative to use of
DATAPTR so I fear we will just have to grind it out one issue at time. Any
and all help is appreciated and welcome so if you learn something in your
explorations let us know.

Cheers,  Dirk