[Rcpp-devel] CRAN submission with NOTE about STRING_PTR

Patrik Schilter patrik.schilter at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 21:37:44 CEST 2024

Dear all,

First of all: Thank you very much for creating and also maintaining Rcpp so
diligently!

I am a co-maintainer of the package REndo which depends on Rcpp &
RcppEigen. Last week, we submitted an updated versions of our package to
CRAN but unfortunately we failed the CRAN incoming checks on
`r-devel-linux-x86_64-debian-gcc` and `r-devel-windows-x86_64` with:

"Found non-API call to R: ‘STRING_PTR’  Compiled code should not call
non-API entry points in R."

The results can be found here:
https://win-builder.r-project.org/incoming_pretest/REndo_2.4.10_20240619_205001/Windows/00check.log
https://win-builder.r-project.org/incoming_pretest/REndo_2.4.10_20240619_205001/Debian/00check.log

>From Dirks comment on the Github issue tracker (
https://github.com/RcppCore/Rcpp/issues/1311#issuecomment-2185099772), I
understand that this issue will not be approached in the upcoming release
in July but only in the next release thereafter in January.

Two questions:

- Does this stem from our usage of `Rcpp::CharacterVector` and could this
note be avoided if we did not use `Rcpp::CharacterVector?`

- Is my understanding correct, that exiting packages on CRAN which use
`Rcpp::CharacterVector` therefore cannot be updated until next year because
they will fail the CRAN pre-tests?

Thank you very much

Patrik