[Rcpp-devel] RInline::repl() issues

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Feb 4 02:17:08 CET 2023

Dominick,

On 3 February 2023 at 20:02, Dominick Samperi wrote:
| I'm sorry to say that the RInline::repl() issues are not resolved, and to
| resolve them would likely require help from R core.
|
| Here's the test case:
| library(sphereplot)
| rgl.sphgrid(longtype="D")
|
| Under Linux there is no problem, a sphere is drawn, and you can
| rotate with mouse motions.
|
| Under Windows using R, no problem.
|
| But under Windows in RInline::repl() when you click on the image it
| freezes up.
|
| Apparently some kind of graphics
| initialization is required, and perhaps callbacks as well to
| handle mouse events. Just calling run_Rmainloop() is not
| enough.

Maybe you want to talk to Duncan (CC'ed) about this, he just had a thread
about rgl and event loop issues on r-package-devel.

As earlier in this (or the preceding) thread, I am not yet _fully_ convinced
that what you are experiencing are in fact an Rcpp issue.  There is something
(a lot, actually) to be said about _minimally complete verifiable examples_.
As Rcpp maintainer, I am not sure if bringing rgl (a fine package, but also
"complicated" / "ambitious") in does still satisfy "minimally".

dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org