[Rcpp-devel] R_Interactive vs R_NoEcho

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Feb 1 23:41:41 CET 2023

On 1 February 2023 at 17:23, Dominick Samperi wrote:
| Since I am not aware of an R-internals mailing list, and since this

AFAIK there is no such mailing list. There is a manual of that name:
https://rstudio.github.io/r-manuals/r-ints/  (nicer quarto rendered version)

Or did you mean the r-devel list?

| question is related to the behavior of RInside::repl(), perhaps this is the
| appropriate place to post this question.
|
| The function Rstd_ReadConsole() in src/unix/sys-std.c results in the
| user command being echoed when R_Interactive = false,
| and R_NoEcho = false.
|
| But if we set R_NoEcho = true to stop the echo, the prompt is also
| suppressed. Setting R_Interactive = true (with R_NoEcho = false)
| does not suppress the prompt, but it has other side-effects like
| enabling the final confirmation question. Again, if we set R_NoEcho = true
| there is no prompt.
|
| So my question is: why does setting R_NoEcho=true turn off the prompt?

Sounds like an r-devel question to me.  Nothing Rcpp related here.  Simon and
Tomas both hang out here so if you are lucky they may see it.  Else I'd try
over there.

Cheers, Dirk

dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org