[Rcpp-devel] R_Interactive vs R_NoEcho

Dominick Samperi djsamperi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 23:23:09 CET 2023

Since I am not aware of an R-internals mailing list, and since this
question is related to the behavior of RInside::repl(), perhaps this is the
appropriate place to post this question.

The function Rstd_ReadConsole() in src/unix/sys-std.c results in the
user command being echoed when R_Interactive = false,
and R_NoEcho = false.

But if we set R_NoEcho = true to stop the echo, the prompt is also
suppressed. Setting R_Interactive = true (with R_NoEcho = false)
does not suppress the prompt, but it has other side-effects like
enabling the final confirmation question. Again, if we set R_NoEcho = true
there is no prompt.

So my question is: why does setting R_NoEcho=true turn off the prompt?

Thanks,
Dominick