[Rcpp-devel] rcpp compile problem

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Jan 28 15:40:23 CET 2020

On 28 January 2020 at 11:10, Peter Meissner wrote:
| you might consider using RStudio which makes this work pretty much out of
| the box:
| https://support.rstudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/200486088-Using-Rcpp-with-RStudio

I am sorry but that needs a qualifier. Otherwise this statement somewhat
implies that things do not work out of the box otherwise.

Which is of course entirely false.

We have been building R packages from compiled source for many years before
the IDE made it easier by checking more settings.  At the risk of sounding
old(-school), I actually still think there is value in knowing why/where
things fail. Which is typically path or registry settings on Windows.  So I
would prefer if we pointed to ways to diagnose this, rather than to blanked
it away.

That said, the IDE is a fine tool, and double-checks and sets many things. I
used it myself the last time I tried to build something on Windows.  But
please let's not forget the root cause of things which are often faulty
installations (which happen on Windows).

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org