[Rcpp-devel] rcpp compile problem

Ralf Stubner ralf.stubner at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 15:28:20 CET 2020

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 10:04 AM Gerhard Boenisch
<boenisch at bgc-jena.mpg.de> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am new to rcpp and am unable to compile code I know works. I must be doing something stupid.
>
> I am using Windows (10).
>
> I have received the cpp source files for the BHPMF package. We want to make the package work on the latest version of R.

I assume this refers to
https://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/BHPMF/BHPMF_1.0.tar.gz,
right? Then this is actually off-topic on this list, since BHPMF does
not use Rcpp. The r-pkg-devel mailing list might be more appropriate.

> I am currently using R 3.4.4 (the last version BHPMF works).

I think you can work with a more recent version right away. Out of
curiosity I ran

R CMD check BHPMF_1.0.tar.gz

using current R 3.6.2. This command compiles and installs the package
and runs different checks on it. The result were two warnings:

* checking whether package ‘BHPMF’ can be installed ... WARNING
Found the following significant warnings:
  utillity.cpp:293:15: warning: ignoring return value of ‘int
fscanf(FILE*, const char*, ...)’, declared with attribute
warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
[...]
* checking for portable use of $(BLAS_LIBS) and $(LAPACK_LIBS) ... WARNING
  apparently using $(BLAS_LIBS) without following $(FLIBS) in ‘src/Makevars’

Warnings like this this are sufficient to have a package removed from
CRAN. They should be easy enough to fix, though.

cheerio
ralf