[Rcpp-devel] RCPP Issue with nonunicode User characters

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Dec 6 22:33:32 CET 2019

On 6 December 2019 at 16:13, John O'Shea wrote:
| Hello, forgive me in advance as I am not familiar with R developing or the
| more technical side of R usage and programming in general. I have had a
| professor of mine request I use the Rcpp package to rewrite a function in
| R, but I have been running into issues with any usage of the Rcpp package.
| My reddit post and a response can be found here
| https://www.reddit.com/r/Rlanguage/comments/e51qn7/error_using_any_function_from_rcpp_package/
|

| The user that replied believes that calling on any function from Rcpp
| "chokes" on the temporary file path made using my Windows username, as it
| contains both a space and an apostrophe and may be a bug. How do I resolve
| this issue?

>From the 'R on Windows FAQ', 'Section 2.2 How do I install R for Windows?':

   If you want to be able to build packages from sources, we recommend that
   you choose an installation path not containing spaces.

When I worked on Windows I generally followed that advise. I may sound like a
lot of work to re-install R just to write one function.  Maybe you can work
on https://rstudio.cloud instead.

Good luck,  Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org