[Rcpp-devel] Package Submission Barred by Pedantic

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Oct 31 11:10:54 CET 2018

On 30 October 2018 at 23:52, Nicholas Rittler wrote:
| In attempting to submit a package to CRAN, I'm receiving the following
| warning:

"I'm receiving" as in "I see this when I compile at home" or as in "I see
this in win-builder" ?

| d:/RCompile/CRANpkg/lib/3.6/BH/include/boost/interprocess/detail/win32_api.hpp:145:9:
| warning: ISO C++ prohibits anonymous structs [-Wpedantic]
|
| I obviously would like to get rid of this warning and get the package on
| CRAN. I now know that CRAN doesn't set pendantic, however, the following is
| the makevars.win the package is currently using, in it's entirety:
|
| PKG_LIBS = $(LAPACK_LIBS) $(BLAS_LIBS) $(FLIBS)
| PKG_CPPFLAGS = -I.
|
| I don't see where this is setting pendantic either. Is it possible it's a
| default local setting on my end? If so, is there some flag that can be

Yes, likely.

| passed in the makevars file that will not generate warnings about
| non-portable code and will make sure pedantic is not set?

It might be how R was built, ie the flag got "baked in" when R configured and
compiled. These flags then sit in ${R_HOME}/etc/Makeconf.  If so you'd have
to edit the file -- we can't alter these options on the fly.

Or it could be in a file of yours, for me it is ~/.R/Makevars where I in fact
often set -pedantic (and alsod unset it).

The bigger news is that you should not have to worry about it. It is just a
warning, and it comes from code you did not write but just use -- Boost
headers via the BH package.

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org