[Rcpp-devel] strange behaviour ... something to do with RInside?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Sep 8 20:31:12 CEST 2015

Hi Jonathon,

On 8 September 2015 at 20:08, Jonathon Love wrote:
| hi dirk,
|
| with further testing, it occurs with any version from CRAN (available
| for trusty at least).
|
| i.e.

| r-base-core | 3.2.2-1trusty0 |
| r-base-core | 3.2.1-4trusty0 |
| r-base-core | 3.2.1-3trusty0 |
| r-base-core | 3.2.1-2trusty0 |
| r-base-core | 3.2.1-1trusty0 |
| r-base-core | 3.2.0-4trusty0 |
| r-base-core | 3.2.0-1trusty |
| r-base-core | 3.1.3-1trusty |
| r-base-core | 3.1.2-1trusty0 |
| r-base-core | 3.1.1-1trusty0 |
| r-base-core | 3.1.0-1trusty0 |

| works with this one (from archive.ubuntu.com):

| r-base-core | 3.0.2-1ubuntu1 |

| using rcpp 0.12.0 and rinside 0.2.13 from my PPA
|
| https://launchpad.net/~jonathon-love/+archive/ubuntu/jasp/+packages
|
| any clues?

Not really.  A minimally reproducible example is always welcome.

Also note how I suggested below to try Rcpp from GitHub which is near a release.

Dirk

| with thanks
|
| jonathon
|

| On 8/09/2015 4:29 pm, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| >
| > On 8 September 2015 at 09:28, Jonathon Love wrote:
| > | hi dirk,
| > |
| > | my application JASP makes use of RInside, and has for about two years
| > | now (https://jasp-stats.org). however, i've just found the most bizare
| > | bug. it only seems to occur under R 3.2.2 (from CRAN) under Ubuntu
| > | Trusty. the issue does not occur under R 3.0.2 (from the standard ubuntu
| > | repos), nor does it occur under R 3.2.2 on Ubuntu Vivid.
| > |
| > | the problem is, bizarely enough, to do with a call to stats::quantile( )
| > |
| > | calling:
| > |
| > | stats::quantile(x, probs=0.01)
| > |
| > | within JASP, gives the error:
| > |
| > | "unused argument (probs = 0.01)"
| > |
| > | but calling it outside of JASP, in an R session run at the terminal,
| > | gives me the expected result.
| > |
| > | i have inspected the Version, the .libPaths(), everything between the
| > | terminal and JASP is identical.
| > | calling:
| > |
| > | print(stats::quantiles)
| > |
| > | gives me the same (short) function definition in both environments
| > |
| > | if i run stats::quantile(1:10), inside of JASP, it gives me the exact
| > | vector back (rather than the quantiles)!
| > |
| > | if i go to the R SVN, and copy the stats::quantile.default() into the
| > | JASP R code, rename it, and substitute calls within JASP, everything
| > | works fine.
| > |
| > | there's also an issue with stats::as.formula() not working
| > |
| > | in typically JASP usage, dozens of R functions are called, and there
| > | don't seem to be any issues other than these, so it appears to be
| > | isolated to the stats package.
| > |
| > | the only difference i can see, is that one runs inside of RInside, the
| > | other at the terminal.
| > |