[Rcpp-devel] V8 crashes on 32bit windows when built with new Rtools

Jeroen Ooms jeroen.ooms at stat.ucla.edu
Thu Mar 12 22:25:28 CET 2015

This is probably not exclusively Rcpp problem, but I could use some
debugging help from Rcpp experts.

When building V8 on windows with the new tool chain, the build succeeds and
the package can be loaded, but when trying to use it on i386, it crashes
(it works fine on x64). Other packages that link to external c++ libraries
(e.g. RQuantlib) might suffer from this as well.

To reproduce, install latest rtools and r-devel on windows and run:

  install.packages("V8", type = "source")
  library(V8)
  ct <- new_context()

The R.exe process crashes without any error message or crashdump, which
makes this very difficult to debug. I suspect that the problem is that the
new Rtools has been built with some different settings resulting in
incompatible binaries, but I can't find the problem.

Any suggestions on where to start debugging this?