[Rcpp-devel] Compile RcppEigen with low memory

Matt D. matdzb at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 18:39:26 CEST 2015

On 7/27/2015 14:57, Felix Schönbrodt wrote:
> Hi all,
Hi there!

> I run R with Shiny on a virtual server (Ubuntu 12.04). Since the last
> version, I cannot install/compile RcppEigen any more, with the
> following error message:
> [...]
>
> Obviously, I cannot increase physical RAM.
> Any ideas how to proceed from here?

Here's an idea (disclaimer: this may be crazy... but it might just
work): Compile your binaries on another box, e.g., a VM (like VirtualBox
or VMware).

You can get the image corresponding to the same OS version you're going
to need (so as to avoid linking with different/incompatible sys libs),
i.e., "Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin" from OSBoxes:
http://www.osboxes.org/ubuntu/

Note: Remember to use -march=<cpu_of_your_deployment_target>, otherwise
you may end up with suboptimal (or even unusable) binary.
Here's the list:
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/x86-Options.html#x86-Options
Naturally, you definitely want to enable optimization (like
vectorization) that matches your deployment target:
http://eigen.tuxfamily.org/index.php?title=FAQ#How_can_I_enable_vectorization.3F

Good luck!

Best,

Matt