[Rcpp-devel] Execution Error

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu May 8 20:25:13 CEST 2014

On 8 May 2014 at 12:13, John Robson wrote:
| Thank you Dirk, you are right.
|
| I did this:
| $ sudo R
| > remove.packages("RInside", lib=file.path("/usr/local/lib/R/site-library"))
| > remove.packages("Rcpp", lib=file.path("/usr/lib/R/site-library"))
| > install.packages(c("Rcpp", "RInside"), type="source", dependencies=TRUE)
|
| All the packages were compiled:
| "g++ -I/usr/share/R/include -DNDEBUG     -I. -fpic  -O2 -pipe -g  -c"
|
| And now works perfectly in Qt and Wt !!!
|
| Two questions:
|
| 1) these steps works; but this is the correct approach?
|
| 2) to use Rcpp and RInside I must install only through R?  Or I can
| compile in the linux terminal and install them? (make and make install)

This is a bit off-topic but as I have meant to write this up on a web page
somewhere and haven't yet here it goes: I use two scripts out of littler (a
package on Github, and in Debian/Ubuntu) _all_ _the_ _time_ because I like to
just launch builds / upgrades on a command prompt and keep my R prompt free
for actual work.

With that, you also do not need to uninstall first.

Current versions of these scripts are at

   https://github.com/eddelbuettel/littler/blob/master/examples/install.r

   https://github.com/eddelbuettel/littler/blob/master/examples/update.r

which I just sync'ed to what I currently use (eg RStudio's CDN as the CRAN
mirror as it is consistently very fast).

So I'd just say    'install.r RInside'   and it would fetch, build and
(re-)install that package.  You can specify more than one etc pp.

Hth,  Dirk